1.03.2009

The finished project of 2008

The only other things I didn't mention in my previous post, are the stuff that I have this blog for, the art stuff. I had one major project that I started in April and finished in... November. It was a big one though, so I guess 6 months or so isn't too bad.

I started with the leftover fabric that I dyed for the background of my X's quilt. I cut half of each color into 4.25 inch squares and then cut leaf shapes out of the other half of each color. I arranged the squares on my design wall and then fused them to the batting, with extra room all the way around.

My original idea was to have a leaf in each background square. So I pinned them all up, varying the color combinations.
That seemed pretty boring when I finally saw it all together. I liked, it, but it wasn't anything special. So I added some more leaves and moved some around, so it looked more "messy" and I was happy with it.

All of that only took two evenings to accomplish. The quilting was what took the most time. I used a tight satin stitch to sew the veins and stem on each leaf, and then did free motion quilting everywhere else. And the result is:
This is one of my favorite finished projects I've done. The colors are very soothing and I think the overall design is pleasing and has interesting focal points without being too realistic or representational. The only thing I could still do to it is clip all the threads on the back. Does anyone know if that is necessary if it were to be in a show? Do the judges look at the backs of the wall quilts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say that YES the judges do look at the backs of quilts and all the threads have to be not only clipped but sort of fished back in. Which would explain why I don't enter all that many quilts into jurried shows!
I love this quilt and wonder why I haven't heard or seen anything about it until now!

Gayle

Anonymous said...

Me again!
I took a closer look at the quilt and it is exquisit! I think you should just go ahead and clip those threads and start entering it in shows. There is one in Sylvania Ohio this July that you should definately enter.
Gayle