10.13.2005

Finito

Despite my superb ability to procrastinate and come up with excuses for what I think needs to be done before I can get to work, my moonflowers are finished. I had one evening to finish it, which shouldn't have been a problem. But I had the hardest time getting myself into the sewing room to work on it. The plan was the go right home and work on it until it was done.

Since I was out of milk, bread, granola bars, chocolate pudding, etc. I decided I needed some groceries. So I spent an hour after work at Meijer, got home and put the groceries away and ate dinner (which was already made in the crock pot, good for me for thinking ahead! I knew I wouldn't have time to cook after work). So then I had a mess in the kitchen so I did dishes, took out the trash and the recycling. Then moved on to clean the dining room, I had about two weeks worth of random papers and receipts and things on the dining room table, including my cutting mat, rotary cutter and ruler that had been there since Saturday. After the apartment was sufficiently clean, I mosied on into the bedroom and changed into my big comfy sweatshirt, put my hair up and then went into the bathroom to take my contacts out. I wanted to wear my glasses in case I had more needle breaking problems. They aren't safety glasses in the least, but there's less of a chance a broken needle will fly into my eye than if I were wearing contacts, which offer no protection at all. Then, FINALLY I made it into the sewing room at about 8 and didn't stop until about 11 for a break to lay on the floor and stretch my back. Then back to it after a 15 minute rest and chat on the phone with my man. I was determined to finish it, I wasn't going to go to bed until it was done. and that's what I did.
(this picture is a tad dark)

Here it is, it is finished! I stayed up until 12:30 last night getting it done because I have to turn it in tonight. I am very pleased. I decided to put stitching on everything, I was thinking about leaving the moon and the ground area without quilting, but I didn't want the ground to be a focal point, which I think would be the result of no quilting in one area, it would make it stand out. And I just put some big nested circles (off-center of course) in the moon, I think it makes it look more spherical.

detail of the ground, flower and leaves

detail of the sky

So tonight is the finished critique. It will be interesting to see what everyone has done to finish their pieces. The class is a mix of 15 people, but we are not all at the same level and technically there are about 5 different classes all being held at the same time, in the same room, with the same teacher. So everyone is working on something completely different. There are 3 beginning weavers, 3 surface designers (just beginning to learn to dye, discharge, screen print etc.) then there are the advanced classes that are more on their own, coming up with their own projects and what they want to learn individually. That's where I am. So today's assignment for myself while I'm here at work is to write my 2nd project proposal. I've never had to write a proposal for any art class before this semester. It kindof works against the way I work. I have somewhat of an idea, this next project is going to be geometric, and I want to do some piecing and some fusing. I also want to dye some more PVC Shibori and use that in contrast with some more solid colors. But that is all I know. I wonder if that is enough of a proposal for my teacher. I guess it is going to have to be, huh?

I like to take 5 or so yards of fabric and dye them, see what I get and then design my work from that, let the fabric inspire me by whatever colors I am in the mood to dye that day. It kind of feels like she is pushing her personal methods on us. She is a note-taker, she keeps gobs and gobs of notebooks on every project or method or technique etc. she's ever done. I am just not that way. I don't plan things out that much and I don't like to do practice pieces or "test" things. I just leap in and do it. Which, doesn't always work, but I learn from it at least. (see post 10.8.2005 for a good example)

I can't believe it is Thursday already! The week sure flies by when you have stuff going on every night of the week.

2 comments:

Karoda said...

I love the quilting in this. I hope you have fun tonight and get great feedback.

Elle said...

I really like the quilting and the fabric you chose for the leaves reminds me of light shimmering on rippling water.